Welcome to another week of New Recipe Tuesday. Alas, we are here for another new culinary creation, but I have no new theme. So I am going to call this my TV week.
I like to watch cooking shows and often catch The Chew while home eating lunch. Sometimes I think they work these shows like ‘cooking for dummies’ and it is incredible to think there are people out there that don’t know to salt their pasta water or cook their mushrooms without salt. Am I being some kind of cooking snob? I mean, seriously, some of these shows have been on for years and they are still giving the same ‘tips’! Most of the time they become background noise and I rarely find anything interesting enough to consider.
So I was surprised today to watch Clinton Kelly make a really simple pasta dish that sounded good enough for me to try. It was logical. It didn’t contain anything weird. It was simple and contained ingredients that made sense. The dish is Arugula Pesto Farfalle with Chicken. The whole dish comes together in about 30 minutes.
The TV recipe can be found on The Chew website, but I did make some changes to it so I will give you my version. I am a big fan of pine nuts so I used them instead of the walnuts in the original. I also baked my chicken like I always do instead of broiling it.
The overall result was very good. I liked the addition of raisins to give a surprise sweetness. I personally am not a fan of raw garlic and even as I write this I have the aftertaste in my mouth. If I made this again I might roast the garlic or even just use garlic powder instead of the cloves of fresh garlic.
So for all my disdain about TV cooking shows, I actually found a good recipe and encourage you to give it a try. Maybe I will see what’s on the Cooking Channel for next week!
Thanks for stopping by. Not sure where we will go next week. Stay tuned, or better yet, offer up a suggestion!
Arugula Pesto Farfalle with Chicken
ARUGULA PESTO :
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic (peeled), personally I would roast it
- 1 container baby arugula (5 ounces)
- ½ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano (finely grated)
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 pound farfalle
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (plumped in hot water)
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese (to garnish)
- red pepper flakes (to garnish)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- In the bowl of a food processor add the garlic and pulse until finely chopped. Add the arugula and parmesan and pulse until finely chopped. While the machine is running, slowly stream in the olive oil. Pulse in the pine nuts. Remove to a bowl, season with salt and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place the chicken thighs on the baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven on the middle rack and bake until cooked through, about 7 minutes per side, flipping halfway through. Remove from the oven and thinly slice.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package directions until al dente.
- Once the pasta is al dente, drain and toss with the arugula pesto. Add the raisins and toss to combine. Divide between bowls, top with sliced chicken, dollops of ricotta and red pepper flakes.